Re: [T3] Older brakes on old car

On 18 Nov 2001, at 0:41, Mike Wodkowski wrote:

> Just now getting back to this, but I noticed in the late summer I have
> the earlier front disc calipers on my 72 squareback. The piston on the
> left one is pretty frozen.

The 72 would have come with the late calipers, so is it possible
that someone has swapped the whole front axle beam? What
about the calipers makes you think that they are the early ones?

> Can I just replace the calipers? Or do I need to replace the discs
> too? Or, can I just replace the piston on the bad caliper? I prefer to
> have my brakes be up to date with the car unless it truly makes no
> difference.

You can replace/rebuild just the calipers and reuse the disk as
long as it is still okay. You will have to replace with the same style
that is already there, however, because the mounting holes are
different for the two styles.

Early and late calipers use different disks.