[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

[T3] my stock FI is a wonerfull

I have a stock FI in a 69 Fastback and spent about a year working out the
kinks only to find a major source of weird headaches is the connections
inside the connector block to the brain-other than that its a fine system.
But I will say it requires zen like process, in other words slight
adjustments-drive for days-slight adjustments.  Mine has not responded well
to massive wrenching then expectiong it to run strong as a jetta.  I have
heard of soldering the brain harness to the brain but I just have not got
around to doing it.  So I just leave it lay in the engine compartment and if
it stalls or runns funny I'll go back and turn it over.  I tried to put
contact grease on the connections but no luck. Although last week drove I it
to Beverly Hills from SD and had not a problem.
People are noticing our cars more and more everybody!  It's cool driving
something different!

> Today's Topics:
>   Re: I need your help                  [ "Everett Barnes" <everettb@thesamba
]
>   Re: [T3] notch/square/fast fender in  [ Per Lindgren <lindgre@online.no> ]
>   Re: [T3] going to germany....         [ Per Lindgren <lindgre@online.no> ]
>   Re: [T3] Anyone POSITIVE about carbs  [ Per Lindgren <lindgre@online.no> ]
>   Re: [T3] Anyone POSITIVE about carbs  [ "Jason Weigel" <notchboy@home.com> ]
>   Re: [T3] Anyone POSITIVE about carbs  [ "Keith Park" <topnotch@nycap.rr.com
]
>   [T3] anyone positive about carbs?     [ type3guy <vwfye@micron.net> ]
>   Re: [T3] re t3 dual carb versus efi?  [ "Keith Park" <topnotch@nycap.rr.com
]
>   Re: [T3] Fwd: Hazet tool set for VW1  [ "Jason Weigel" <notchboy@home.com> ]
>   FW: [T3] a type 3 record sighting     [ Mike Wodkowski <wodkowski@mac.com> ]
>   Re: [T3] Dual carb versus EFI ?       [ Mike Wodkowski <wodkowski@mac.com> ]
>   Re: [T3] Pollute less with more gas?  [ Mike Wodkowski <wodkowski@mac.com> ]
>   Re: [T3] Fwd: Hazet tool set for VW1  [ "Dave Hall" <dave@hallvw.clara.co.u
> ********************************************************************
>  To unsubscribe from the type3 digest, send a blank e-mail
> message to:
>  type3-d-request@vwtype3.org
> with the subject:
>  unsubscribe
> If your e-mail program supports clickable links, just click on the
> following:  mailto:type3-d-request@vwtype3.org?subject=unsubscribe
>  If you experience difficulties unsubscribing, send e-mail
> to gregm@vwtype3.org and describe the situation to me.  I'll help
> you out.
> -Greg Merritt
> VWType3.Org list manager
> ********************************************************************
> ********************************************************************
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:22:06 -0700
> From: "Everett Barnes" <everettb@thesamba.com>
> To: <Medihass@hotmail.com>, <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: I need your help
> Message-ID: <01c901c16f7b$fce19fb0$b73c0f18@cx1010260a>
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>  charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> I think the easiest way would be that a Euro model has the little side
> marker lights on each front fender.
> I suspect the badging on the rear is different, but that could vary by the
> country it was sold in.
> Everett
> everettb@thesamba.com
> http://www.thesamba.com
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <JaransonT3@aol.com>
> To: <Medihass@hotmail.com>; <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2001 8:15 AM
> Subject: Re: I need your help
> I am not familiar with the difference between European and US spec T3s.
> However, I will forward your note to the T3 mail List.  It is by far the
> best
> source of info for the T3.  You can subscribe to the List, but be prepared
> for 20 30 messages per day or you can read it on the web.  All the details
> are at www.vwtype3.org
> If I get any replys to your note I will forward them to you.
> Later,
> John
> Help from the List anyone???????
>>>Hello I would like to know if you can help me I have just bought a 68
> squareback >>and I was told that its a European model. Can you tell me how
> can I tell if its a >>European model. You can replay to me at
> Medihass@hotmail.com I will gladly >>appreciate it.
> Unsubscribe? mailto:type3-request@vwtype3.org, Subject: unsubscribe
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 17:09:51 +0100
> From: Per Lindgren <lindgre@online.no>
> To: type3@vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] notch/square/fast fender interchangability
> Message-ID: <3BF68BCF.72EF2F1E@online.no>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Dave Hall wrote:
>> > Front fenders are interchangeable, in between the year models.
>> Up to July 69 or from Aug '69 are the two basic shapes, but you may find
>> there are also different arrangements for side trim, main and repeat side
>> indicators or parking lights, so be prepared and know what you need.
> From Aug. '69 is the same as a '70 model. So that is not in between a model
> year.
> PerL
> 73 Variant L
> Search old messages on the Web!  Visit http://www.vwtype3.org/list/
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 17:09:54 +0100
> From: Per Lindgren <lindgre@online.no>
> To: "type3@vwtype3.org" <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] going to germany....
> Message-ID: <3BF68BD2.73490F2E@online.no>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> http://www.autostadt.de
> PerL
> 73 Variant L
> jesse and monica wrote:
>> Hey Dave,
>> Schwabisch Hall is about 40 minutes from Stuttgart.
>> Email me off of the list and tell me for about this Autostadt!
>> later,
>> jesse
>> 71 fi squareback
>> My wife and I are going to Germany on Dec.17. We will be staying in a
>> > little town that is close to Schwabisch Hall.
>> Where's Schwabisch Hall?  If it's anywhere in the vicinity of Wolfsburg
>> (Hanover eg) try and get to Autostadt - it's unforgettable.
>> Dave.
>> UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
>> http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>> List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list or mailto:help@vwtype3.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 17:09:59 +0100
> From: Per Lindgren <lindgre@online.no>
> To: type3@vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Anyone POSITIVE about carbs?
> Message-ID: <3BF68BD6.EF224868@online.no>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Pamela Peeples wrote:
>> Dear Jim and fellow members,
>> I am just curious. I've read all the posts that promote staying with EFI and
>> I have yet to come across anyone really positive about dual carb's. I
>> understand staying with EFI is the best scenario; but is anyone out there
>> happy with their dual carbs???  I would like to hear from people that have
>> POSITIVE experiences with dual carb type 3's. Please, take a few minutes to
>> give me hope.
> I am happy with the dual carbs in my car (these are factory Solex carbs, Btw.)
> but I do not consider them to be the best solution. I would in fact like to
swap
> to EFI but dont think I would go with a stock type 3 setup, but possibly the
> Digijet system from a late Vanagon instead. It would need to be a cross
between
> Vanagon and type 3 system though, as the Vanagon runners and manifolds wouldnt
> fit the type 3 heads. And why a Vanagon? Will, the wasserboxer engine is a
> converted aircooler case, so the dizzy from the Vanagon would probably fit the
> aircooled case. I dont know for sure though :-)
> PerL
> 73 Variant L
> Search old messages on the Web!  Visit http://www.vwtype3.org/list/
> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 20:49:53 -0800
> From: "Jason Weigel" <notchboy@home.com>
> To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] Anyone POSITIVE about carbs?
> Message-ID: <002401c16f23$4c3d2a60$261f1518@pwy1.sdca.home.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>  charset="iso-8859-1"
> I think the stock duel carb setup for a t3 is great. I have spent alot of
> time learning how they work and how to tune them, not that it was hard. Any
> EFI is fundimentaly better than a carb. DUHH............... If your original
> efi has been gutted, left sitting for rats, has poor repairs, missing stuff
> or just plain looks to scarry for you get a pair of webber carbs. They will
> do the trick. Eithor way you go your old vws fuel aspiration system will
> have its own little tricks to keep it going.
> jason
>> Pamela Peeples wrote:
>> > Dear Jim and fellow members,
>> >
>> > I am just curious. I've read all the posts that promote staying with EFI
> and
>> > I have yet to come across anyone really positive about dual carb's. I
>> > understand staying with EFI is the best scenario; but is anyone out
> there
>> > happy with their dual carbs???  I would like to hear from people that
> have
>> > POSITIVE experiences with dual carb type 3's. Please, take a few minutes
> to
>> > give me hope.
> List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list or mailto:help@vwtype3.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:54:19 -0500
> From: "Keith Park" <topnotch@nycap.rr.com>
> To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] Anyone POSITIVE about carbs?
> Message-ID: <001501c16f88$9e0d6d40$903e1d18@nycap.rr.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>  charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>>I still believe that if someone is qualified to fix the modern FI systems
> that are 10 times more complex than ours, troubleshooting ours should be
> Cake!... if they have trouble, find a new mechanic!  theres nothing I cant
> fix in 5 minutes.
> I remembered another negative about carbs this morning, I drove the Notch
> today and when I came out of the store 5 minutes after parking it the chokes
> had already started to close and it ran like crap for the first mile or 2...
> Ive followed advice and even removed the choke plates but here in NY, or
> anywhere it goes below 60 or so youll end up starting the car 6 or 7 times
> without some choke, this is unaccepable to me.  There are those who seem to
> do better but I think the cars that always start well cold without chokes
> are running way too rich to begin with, which is what I usually see with
> aftermarket carb setups.
> Keith
>  I am just curious. I've read all the posts that promote staying with EFI
> and
>> I have yet to come across anyone really positive about dual carb's. I
>> understand staying with EFI is the best scenario; but is anyone out there
>> happy with their dual carbs???  I would like to hear from people that have
>> POSITIVE experiences with dual carb type 3's. Please, take a few minutes
> to
>> give me hope.
>> (P.S., I have about 15 saved past emails that have to do with EFI verse
>> Carbs is anyone wants them. I am the one who Steven wrote about with the
> bad
>> fuel injection system on her square.  I posted all my FI problems about 1
>> 1/2 years ago, and we were unable to find the problem after all this time
>> and my husband is about ready to get rid of my car.  Its been expensive
> and
>> extremely frustrating. We replaced what you are supposed to replace and
>> checked everything you are supposed to check, over and over.  I
> appreciated
>> all the great suggestions you all provided. you are really a wealth of
>> knowledge and I enjoy reading the posts!  Take care!)
>> '73 Squareback, used to be a daily driver, now barely running
>> Prescott Valley, AZ
>> > On 16 Nov 2001, at 23:20, Dave Hall wrote:
>> >
>> > > Maybe like Toby I've missed something fundamental in Jim's comment,
>> > > and my twin carb Variant does more mpg than the EFI Fastback, so I
>> > > don't necessarily agree with Toby either!  Darn painful this fence.
>> > > ;-)
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Search old messages on the Web!  Visit http://www.vwtype3.org/list/
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:52:53 -0700
> From: type3guy <vwfye@micron.net>
> To: a type 3 club <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: [T3] anyone positive about carbs?
> Message-ID: <3BF695E5.3050608@micron.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> yes, very much so...the only thing positive about the FI to me is if it
> is modern, with anti knock sensors and the works...otherwise the old
> stock FI is too limiting in engine configurations, expensive to fix 'if'
> a part fails and only marginaly better at starting in the cold of winter.
> you have to run a cam with stock duration for the FI to work correctly
> ever priced a brain?  and of course the year to year differences really
> make parts hunting pleasant
> and, i can get the stock dual carbs, or hi-po dual carbs to run in cold
> weather without any problems
> if money was no object, i would install a modern FI in a heartbeat, but
> i can't...with that said, i will always run carbs before stock FI...
> The darkness is indeed strong...
> --
> Brian--1964 Notch Speedster 2332cc & 1959 Bug
> Type 3 Invasion Aug. 17th and 18th
> List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list or mailto:help@vwtype3.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:59:35 -0500
> From: "Keith Park" <topnotch@nycap.rr.com>
> To: "type 3 list" <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] re t3 dual carb versus efi?
> Message-ID: <001b01c16f89$3c1caf00$903e1d18@nycap.rr.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>  charset="iso-8859-1"
>>Change out entire engine based FI system, moving from C system to E system
> including changing harness... 45 minutes!  :)
> Course with FI, you dont need another system, just spares of a few basic
> components.
> Keith
>  first set are giving me trouble . i can take them of and have my second set
>> fitted and be back on the road inside the hour try that with efi!
>>             this being said too truly nderstand them and the jetting
> List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list or mailto:help@vwtype3.org
> Search old messages on the Web!  Visit http://www.vwtype3.org/list/
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:45:46 -0500
> From: Mike Wodkowski <wodkowski@mac.com>
> To: Type3 <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: FW: [T3] a type 3 record sighting
> Message-ID: <B81BF6F4.1BE4%wodkowski@mac.com>
> Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
>> and as Mike
>>Wodkowski will attest to, you cant drive a T3 in Clifton Park without MY
>>phone ringing and you sure dont have to worry about getting lost!!
> Its all true...there I was on the way to Keith's, passed an unmarked
> intersection where I should have turned and drove and drove wondering 2
> things:
> 1) I wonder if I should have made that turn?
> 2) I wonder why that Jetta  been tailing me all this way
> I pull over to turn back once I know I've gone too far, and the Jetta pulls
> in behind me. The guy just knew I was looking for Keith.
> Amazing.
> --
> Mike Wodkowski
> 72 FI SQBK
> Brooklyn
> wodkowski@mac.com
> List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list or mailto:help@vwtype3.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:46:36 -0500
> From: Mike Wodkowski <wodkowski@mac.com>
> To: Type3 <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] Dual carb versus EFI ?
> Message-ID: <B81C0CA5.1BEA%wodkowski@mac.com>
> Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
> on 11/16/01 10:05 AM, Steven Ayres at comwest@att.net wrote:
>> EricH=> Carbs just <feel> right on an ACVW
>> One problem is that so many VW mechanics feel this way too. I had to
>> struggle with one of my mechanics to keep the FI system on my camper when I
>> had a weird and obscure problem. I just had a message yesterday from a local
>> club member who's decided to go to carbs on her Square. She and one of the
>> better local mechanics have been trying to find a bug in the system for a
>> couple of years, and the mechanic has finally given up. I haven't been able
>> to convince her to get on the list or even give me a chance to describe the
>> problem here. I may give it one last try today. I love my carbs, but I also
>> hate to see a good system go to waste while a friend takes on a whole new
>> raft of unnecessary problems.
>> Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
>> '66 Big Ghia
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Too much? Digest! mailto:type3-d-request@vwtype3.org Subj=subscribe
> Just hold onto that harness. Don't let her throw any of those FI parts away.
> --
> Mike Wodkowski
> 72 FI SQBK
> Brooklyn
> wodkowski@mac.com
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:46:37 -0500
> From: Mike Wodkowski <wodkowski@mac.com>
> To: Type3 <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] Pollute less with more gas? (was: Dual carb versus EFI ?
>   )
> Message-ID: <B81C05A1.1BE7%wodkowski@mac.com>
> Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
> on 11/16/01 10:33 AM, Jim Adney at jadney@vwtype3.org wrote:
>> Mike
>> Wodkowski's 72 seems to be a counterexample of this, but I'm at a loss to
>> explain it because he's driving MY old engine with MY complete old EFI
>> setup.
> I just calls em like I sees 'em. Could be a fluke, like I keep getting a
> tailwind or something.
> If its any comfort, I got 13.8 mpg on my last tank. Not good, but pure NYC
> driving so it's a tough guess what with the traffic jams and all.
> --
> Subject: Re: [T3] Fwd: Hazet tool set for VW1500 on E-bay
> Message-ID: <028d01c16f8d$76f7aea0$eb5a08c3@dad2>
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>  charset="iso-8859-1"
>> That large wrench (27mm) is a T-1 front wheel bearing wrench. One of a
> pair.
> I believe the dynamo nut is 27mm too; needed to adjust the belt tension.
> Dave.
> UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
> http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/
> ------
> Search old messages on the Web!  Visit http://www.vwtype3.org/list/
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:29:47 -0800 (PST)
> From: Heather Ann Riggs <type3addict@yahoo.com>
> To: type 3 list <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: [T3] Squareback for sale
> Message-ID: <20011117192947.42629.qmail@web20306.mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Hello listees,
>      I was cruizin' the other day and I came across a
> Squareback for sale.  I am not sure of what year it
> is, but I do know it is pre-1970(or was it '69?)with
> the "non-pignose" front trunk lid. It has a new
> windshield with a cal-look seal. It has a brand new
> dark blue paint job, but they painted over bondo and
> dents.  It looks as if the passenger side door was
> severely bent the wrong way, and they did not seem to
> care to fix before the paint job. There are engine
> parts and side windows in the back.  The interior
> looks in good condition.   But it is located in
> Beaverton, OR at 185th and Walker Rd. They are asking
> $1000..and the phone number is (503)780-2531.  Please
> do not email me, just call the number, thanks.
> Heather
> '71 Fastback AT FI
> Portland, OR
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Find the one for you at Yahoo! Personals
> http://personals.yahoo.com
> Too much? Digest! mailto:type3-d-request@vwtype3.org Subj=subscribe
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 16:24:26 -0600
> From: Russ Wolfe <russella@prairieinet.net>
> To: type3@vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] anyone positive about carbs?
> Message-Id: <01111716242602.16374@charliebrown.wolfenet.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>   charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
> On Saturday 17 November 2001 10:52, type3guy wrote:
>> yes, very much so...the only thing positive about the FI to me is if it
>> is modern, with anti knock sensors and the works...otherwise the old
>> stock FI is too limiting in engine configurations, expensive to fix 'if'
>> a part fails and only marginaly better at starting in the cold of winter.
>> you have to run a cam with stock duration for the FI to work correctly
>> ever priced a brain?
> Hmm, I have 2 "D" brains here. Price is right if needed. I gave Mark Furhman
> the "A" unit he is running in his car right now. There are 3 basic brains.
> "B" unit which replaced the "A".  The "D" which replaced the "C", and the "E".
>  and of course the year to year differences really
>> make parts hunting pleasant
>> and, i can get the stock dual carbs, or hi-po dual carbs to run in cold
>> weather without any problems
> MY '71 FB has been sitting for over a month without being started. I bet I
> can go out there right now , and without even gettting in the car, hit the
> starter, and the car will start. My carbed '66 FB won't do that. With it, I
> have to set the chokes, and pump it a couple times to get it started when it
> has been sitting for a while.
>> if money was no object, i would install a modern FI in a heartbeat, but
>> i can't...with that said, i will always run carbs before stock FI...
> --
> Russ Wolfe
> '71 Fastback AT ( hasn't been run in over a month)
> '66 Fastback MT (IT RUNS)
> russw@classicvw.org
> http://www.classicvw.org
> Unsubscribe? mailto:type3-request@vwtype3.org, Subject: unsubscribe
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 19:02:39 -0500
> From: "Keith Park" <topnotch@nycap.rr.com>
> To: "Type3" <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] Pollute less with more gas? (was: Dual carb versus EFI ? )
> Message-ID: <001301c16fc4$56895b00$903e1d18@nycap.rr.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>  charset="iso-8859-1"
> Thats waaay to low... BUT, as you say, NYC driving is not like any other.. I
> would get down to 16 on the coldest winter days... take a trip out to the
> Hamptons and see what you get.
> Keith
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Mike Wodkowski <wodkowski@mac.com>
> To: Type3 <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2001 12:46 PM
> Subject: Re: [T3] Pollute less with more gas? (was: Dual carb versus EFI ? )
>> on 11/16/01 10:33 AM, Jim Adney at jadney@vwtype3.org wrote:
>> > Mike
>> > Wodkowski's 72 seems to be a counterexample of this, but I'm at a loss
> to
>> > explain it because he's driving MY old engine with MY complete old EFI
>> > setup.
>> I just calls em like I sees 'em. Could be a fluke, like I keep getting a
>> tailwind or something.
>> If its any comfort, I got 13.8 mpg on my last tank. Not good, but pure NYC
>> driving so it's a tough guess what with the traffic jams and all.
>> --
>> Mike Wodkowski
>> 72 FI SQBK
>> Brooklyn
>> wodkowski@mac.com
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>> List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list or mailto:help@vwtype3.org
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 20:21:20 -0600
> From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>
> To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] anyone positive about carbs?
> Message-ID: <3BF6C6C0.9137.2841B79@localhost>
> Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
> Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
> On 17 Nov 2001, at 9:52, type3guy wrote:
>> otherwise the old stock FI is too limiting in engine
>> configurations, expensive to fix 'if' a part fails and only
>> marginaly better at starting in the cold of winter.
> The only way that FI repairs could be made out to be more
> expensive than carb repairs would be to compare new retail FI
> prices to swap meet carb prices. If we stick to apples vs. apples
> it's pretty even, except you will find that you don't need FI parts as
> often.
> -
> *******************************
> Jim Adney, jadney@vwtype3.org
> Madison, Wisconsin, USA
> *******************************
> Unsubscribe? mailto:type3-request@vwtype3.org, Subject: unsubscribe
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 20:21:20 -0600
> From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>
> To: Type3 <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] Pollute less with more gas? (was: Dual carb versus EFI ?  )
> Message-ID: <3BF6C6C0.11630.2841B8D@localhost>
> Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
> Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
> On 17 Nov 2001, at 12:46, Mike Wodkowski wrote:
>> If its any comfort, I got 13.8 mpg on my last tank. Not good, but
>> pure NYC driving so it's a tough guess what with the traffic jams
>> and all.
> Ouch, sounds like the law of averages is hitting back with a
> vengance. This is way too low, so it should not stay there,
> otherwise it means that somethings wrong.
> -
> *******************************
> Jim Adney, jadney@vwtype3.org
> Madison, Wisconsin, USA
> *******************************
> Unsubscribe? mailto:type3-request@vwtype3.org, Subject: unsubscribe
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 20:41:22 -0700
> From: "Everett Barnes" <everettb@thesamba.com>
> To: "Type 3 List" <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: [T3] Loud noise from fan area
> Message-ID: <01f001c16fe4$48d1a510$b73c0f18@cx1010260a>
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>  charset="Windows-1252"
> Well, I finally got my Type 3 Ghia back together today - NOS exhaust,
> rebuilt carbs., blah, blah, blah.
> When I drove it home after I bought it, there was a nasty noise at idle
> coming from the fan or exhaust area.  I figure it was the exhaust because it
> was pretty wasted and ended up dropping pieces of itself off on the drive
> home.
> I fired it up today and the same noise was still there, it sounds like the
> fan might be rubbing on it's metal shroud?  Removing the fan belt made no
> difference.  The noise is NOT rpm-dependent, so maybe something in the flap
> work is rattling around?  Right now, the flaps are wedged wide-open because
> there is no thermostat assembly.  It basically sounds like there is a bolt
> in there flying around.  It is LOUD, you can't even hear the engine running.
> I know I have heard people mention this before on the list so does anyone
> remember what the result was?
> I plan to drop the engine soon unless the solution is obvious.
> Thanks,