[T3] Radio and fuel gauge questions

<x-charset iso-8859-1>These are actually "Beetle" questions, but I drove the Fastback to work
today so perhaps you will tolerate these two queries...

1. I picked up a 1972 standard Beetle a few weeks ago. Seems to run fine,
but needs a few things. When the AM radio is switched on, the speaker emits
a little crackling noise, but does not play. The fuses look fine and the
power and speaker connections look okay. The 12 volt battery is new. I
replaced the antenna with a new one, but no change. What should I check? How
can I test it?

2. The fuel gauge does not register. I unplugged the ground wire from the
sender and grounded it to the gas tank. Once I turned the key, the gauge
registered "full". What do I check (and do) next?

Thanks,

- Todd

</x-charset>