RE: [T3] Engine Seal and ....

On 15 Nov 2001, at 8:30, Ian Ruinaard wrote:

> As far as I understand the Beetle has a 'ducted outlet' system & the Type 3 a
> 'ducted intake'. This means the Type 3 will overheat without the rubber fan
> intake bellows in place - am I correct.

Correct.

> Now a question I have wondered about for a long time -
> In a Type 1 Baja Bug conversion I think the cooling system is compromised & will
> not work as well as VW intended it too  - same with a Buggy with a Type 1 or
> Type 3 motor in it (The hot air will just circulate). I have always thought that
> motors in these vehicles will overheat & fail prematurely (I have never seen a
> Baja Bug or a Buggy with a temp gauge fitted !) Is my thinking correct ?

I think the type 1 cooling system should be fine on a Baja, just because the
engine is all out there in the open. While this does not have the seal between
the upper and lower sections that we get in a beetle, it probably doesn't need
it so much since the engine isn't captured inside an engine compartment.
This would be especially true when the car is in motion.

The type 3 intake is in a much more vulnerable place for a Baja since the hot
exhaust air comes flowing out right under it, and tending to rise up into that
area.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org