[T3] Engine Seal and ....

Is there any sort of seal that goes around the engine? When I open my cover
to the engine on my 1970 squareback I can see the ground on the left and
right sides, is this suppose to be that way? I had a beetle until recently
and that had to have the engine tins and the rubber seal between the tins
and the body or you would have trouble with overheating. I am new to Type
3's so bear with me.

Also where is the oil sensor hook up to on this engine. When I start the
engine the light does not come on. So I was wondering if it was just not
hooked up or if my bulb was out..

Thanks in advance,
Ryan