Re: [T3] Master cylinder question

<x-charset iso-8859-1>On Monday 12 November 2001 20:28, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 12 Nov 2001, at 21:29, Dave Hall wrote:
> > The residual pressure valve, I understand from the technical manual,
> > reduces the lost motion on braking by maintaining the shoes closer to the
> > drums. I'll try to check the manual when I get a moment.
>
> That pretty much reflects what I have seen written, too, but it
> doesn't jibe well with the fact that we expect the return springs to
> push the pistons all the way back into the cylinders each time.
>
> > I don't think the old Beetle had anything fancy like that, and it stopped
> > pretty well anyway - maybe it's VWs obsession for complicating things!
>
> I've got some that were separate parts that I took off an old MC
> from something, I think it may have actually been a beetle,
> because I don't remember ever seeing them on type 3s. These
> were the kind that screw into the MC outlet ports.
>
> I have a Chevy manual that talks about them for 60s Chevys, too,
> so its not just a VW thing. I once rebuilt the MC for a 50 Chevy and
> it had one (the type buried at the bottom of the MC bore.)
>
> I really think they were just something that no one dared leave off
> because tradition demanded that they be there. I wonder if we can
> give credit to VW for being first to omit them. I have a manual that
> talks about the drilling in the outlet port being smaller in disk brake
> cars. The smaller port won't make any difference at all, but there it
> is.
>
> They point out that you MUST NOT use the MCs with the residual
> pressure valves on cars with disk brakes. At least this much
> makes sense.

IIRC, these valves were a 1967 T-1 only, and did not stay on the cars very
long. We had a lot of problems with them causing problems in extremely cold
weather. I don't remember ever seeing them on a T-3.
They were kind of like the '68-69 T-3 master cylinders. Oddball, and got
replaced on most cars.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT