Re: [T3] Master cylinder question

On 12 Nov 2001, at 21:29, Dave Hall wrote:

> The residual pressure valve, I understand from the technical manual, reduces
> the lost motion on braking by maintaining the shoes closer to the drums.
> I'll try to check the manual when I get a moment.

That pretty much reflects what I have seen written, too, but it
doesn't jibe well with the fact that we expect the return springs to
push the pistons all the way back into the cylinders each time.

> I don't think the old Beetle had anything fancy like that, and it stopped
> pretty well anyway - maybe it's VWs obsession for complicating things!

I've got some that were separate parts that I took off an old MC
from something, I think it may have actually been a beetle,
because I don't remember ever seeing them on type 3s. These
were the kind that screw into the MC outlet ports.

I have a Chevy manual that talks about them for 60s Chevys, too,
so its not just a VW thing. I once rebuilt the MC for a 50 Chevy and
it had one (the type buried at the bottom of the MC bore.)

I really think they were just something that no one dared leave off
because tradition demanded that they be there. I wonder if we can
give credit to VW for being first to omit them. I have a manual that
talks about the drilling in the outlet port being smaller in disk brake
cars. The smaller port won't make any difference at all, but there it
is.

They point out that you MUST NOT use the MCs with the residual
pressure valves on cars with disk brakes. At least this much
makes sense.