Re: [T3] what is a t4 ??

On 9 Nov 2001, at 19:13, Rob Carpenter wrote:

> Heres what I think I know:
> T1=bug,T2=ghia?,T3=us,T4=bus?

To clarify just a bit, VW divided its lines of cars into "Types," which
others have clarified.

The buses, which are Type 2s, were further subdivided into different
generations: T1, T2, etc, where the T stands for Transporter.

For simplicity, we often write T3 when we should really write Type
3. While this generally does not cause a problem within the Type 3
email list, it often raises the ire of the Type 2 crowd when it is
misused in front of a more general audience. So, in general,...

Type 1s are all the variations of the beetles, including the type 1
Ghia.

Type 2s are all the variations of the buses, including T1, T2,...

Type 3s are all the variations of our cars: fastys, squares, notches,
and type 3 Ghias.

Type 4s are all the variations of the bigger cousins to the type 3s:
411, 412, and the 2-seater VW/Porsche 914.

People who don't know type 3s or type 4s often get these two
mixed up.

If you can get close enough to the car, you can tell which type it is
because that is the first digit of the VIN. While VW reused these
numbers in a somewhat meaningful way when they switched to the
water cooled cars, I don't really consider them to be part of this list.
Reasonable people may agree to disagree on this.