Re: [T3] Ignition alternatives

On 6 Nov 2001, at 23:06, Hal Sullivan wrote:

> At 07:32 PM 11/5/01 -0500, Keith Park wrote:

> >the only thing Ill add is if your driving a Square remove the engine cover
> >and run the highway hills on a hot day and Youll hear detonation if there is
>
> The next hot day I get around here is probably going to be months
> away.  It's finally getting cold around here, relatively speaking.  It was
> 43F this morning!  What can I say, I live in Northern California.  Anyway,
> I'm still running it hard, listening and checking.  I had to advance the
> distributor a little, it wasn't idling very well when cold, but the total
> advance is still under 32 degrees.  I've got to visit a friend who lives on
> top of a mountain tomorrow, which should really be a shakedown.

Detonation/knock is a low RPM phenomenon, mainly because that's when
you can really get a full load of air into the cylinder. In other words, cool
weather will actually make knock worse because of the higher air density.
Going up in altitude is more likely to make it go away.

OTOH, if it's there, you'll hear it right away, as you start the hill climb from
sea level.

Remember, knock is a wide-open-throttle, low RPM thing that sounds like
someone slowly dropping a handful of small ball bearings into a steel waste
basket. It is more of a "tinkling" sound than a "knock," but don't let that
convince you that it is harmless. My 68 used to do this, back when I didn't
know what it was. I wasted years looking for the loose screw that was
making that "rattle." Over the years I fixed lots of loose screws, but nothing
changed that sound. It all went away when I rebuilt the engine and reduced
the compression ratio. Only later did I learn what knock was and
remembered that WOT low RPM tinkling sound that I used to have.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054