Re: [T3] Heater hook-up

On 6 Nov 2001, at 21:09, Shawn Teegarden wrote:

> Ok, I don't want to freeze, so here are some questions:
>
> In my wife's '67 Fasty, I'm trying to hook up the heater assemblies.  The
> car has an aftermarket header on it, with the heat exchangers installed.

With an aftermarket exhaust, it is most likely that you have the lower heat
exchangers but not the uppers. You will need some kind of tube to conduct
the air from the fan housing down to the air inlet at the rear of the lower heat
exchangers.

> 1.  Can the top inlet to the hot air mixer be blocked off, as I don't have
> the rear heat exchangers nor elbow peices, and if it is, what will it hurt?

It can, but you will be MUCH better off fixing up those parts. You need the
small paper upper hoses and the elbows. I have all those parts. They will give
you much more air flow which is the real secret to heating the car.

> 2.  I'm missing (actually it fell apart) one flexible pipe (thats what the
> Elfrink calls it, #5, page 59, exploded view of exhaust and heater
> assemblies).  I suppose they are as rare as hens' teeth, or is something
> that works available?

I don't have spares of these, yes, they are rare now. There ought to be
something that works however.

> 3.  The fresh air pipe, the hard tube from the rear to the front, if it is
> not in use, can I remove it without messing up the flow of cooling air
> through the tins.  It is rattling it's little a## off ;-)

Yes, you can, but I recommend that you connect them up properly, as I
mentioned above, so that you get the best heat possible. Hooking them up
will reduce the rattles, too.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org