Re: [T3] Tie Rods

On 6 Nov 2001, at 17:55, David & Sylvia wrote:

>  I had a chance to check the fasty again and the only other thing I found
> was slightly loose wheel bearings, which I tighten and also I noticed that
> when I pull really hard the top ball joint feels also loose. It is hard to
> tell it feels loose and at the same time it feels like it is spring loaded.
> Could I be feeling the torsion bars, I mean I pull and push top and bottom
> of the tire (L) and only when I pull really hard I can feel movement.

I strongly suggest that you get a Bentley manual and study the
section on the front end. Although this manual is specifically for 68-
73 type 3s, you will find that the front end section, as well as much
of the rest of the manual also works for your cars.

If you feel play when you shake the wheel, top to bottom, then this
is almost certain NOT to be a ball joint problem, but it may well be
a loose connection between the upper torsion bar (sway bar) and
the UL trailing arm. If you don't fix this rather quickly, it will become
unfixable, so you really need to get after it soon.

Testing the ball joints is covered in the Bentley. They call for using
special tools, but you can make do with a measuring caliper and a
C-clamp. You have to study what is going on first though, so you
really understand all the parts that are in there and how they work
together.