Re: [T3] Digging out the rear trans seal

On 5 Nov 2001, at 23:42, shackedup wrote:

> Yes I got it all out, I can't believe how long I spent staring at that seal
> thinking that it was part of the trans case!  I will ensure a smooth surface for
> and oil the seal but here's another question:  The seal I removed had an outer
> 'lip' that would have stopped the seal in place once it was pushed all the way
> in.  The replacement seal I have doesn't have the extra lip.  Will it eventually
> fall  into the transmission?!?!  I've been told to press the seal in until it's
> flush with the case... Is this correct?

Strange! All the seals I have ever seen had the outer lip. I don't think there is
any danger of its falling either way, but without the lip the positioning is up to
you.

BTW, before you put it in, you should also oil the inner seal lips as well as
the transmission input shaft.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org