[T3] Temp Sensors

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hey everyone,
I have been having this problem with the top temp sensor on my 72 FI Auto.
If I disconnect the top most sensor, my engine runs fine.  But if I connect
it, the engine dies and will not rev or idle.  It seems to be obvious that
this is a bad sensor.  However, I also had a problem a while ago with the
engine not starting when hot, but it would after it cooled down.  Now, my
questions are:  Do the head sensor and the top sensor work together?  Could
the top sensor also prevent starting when hot?  Should I just replace them
both?
Thanks for the help.

Jason T. Smith
http://jasontsmith.tripod.com/vw.htm