Re: re: [T3] Proper operation

I think there's some confusion on the list about what US-spec means in
regard to indicators. Amber front signals were legal beginning in about
1964 and by the late 1960s more cars had amber fronts than white. VW
made the switch to amber fronts in about 1964, and every Type 3 sold
through VWoA beginning in 1966 had amber front signals. Red rear lenses
were required for both brake lights and turn signals, but beginning
sometime in the mid 70s (I think) amber rear signals were also allowed.
Current cars might be seen with either amber front lenses or clear front
lenses with amber bulbs, and either amber or red rear signal lenses. And
Dave C.: US cars have never been required to have flashing brake lights.

Scott
62 1500 Ghia
65 1500S Squareback Sedan
01 Golf GL