From: Simon Glen [mailto:simonglen@bigpond.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2001 6:33 AM
To: Allyn de Vars
Subject: Re: [T3] 1971 on Ebay

Dear Allyn,

Your explanation of why notchbacks and fastbacks share the same first two
digits of their chassis numbers and type codes sounds very logical and I
think
you must be correct.

I have one query, though.  The Type3 panel van (or Type 36 with M Option
M265)
is like an ordinary Type36 Variant or squareback except that in many cases
there is no rear seat base to fold forward and no hinges for this rear seat
base either.  It does have the rear seat back rest but without the cushion.
The back rest is permanently folded forward to increase the rear load area
and
is usually only raised to provide access to the battery.  So, in this area
of
the floorpan, namely the cross-member for the rear seat, the panel van is
different from the Variant.  However, despite this floorpan difference, all
panel vans built after 01Aug1964 share the same first two digits of their
chassis numbers in common with the Variant, that is "36.......".  Would you
know why these slightly different floorpans have the same code.

Simon Glen
Toowoomba,  Australia.

Allyn de Vars wrote:

> Per, you may be more onto the correct answer than most would think.
> Although chassis and suspension parts may differ slightly between
> Squareback, Fastback, Notchback and Karmann-Ghia, the pieces from one will
> normally bolt onto the chassis of another same-year type 3.  For those of
us
> fortunate to have access to original factory parts books, you will find
that
> the chassis part number changes for each of the different bodies--except
> Notchback/Fastback.
>
> Why?
>
> Well, the major difference between the floorpan of a Squareback,
> Fastback/Notchback, or Karmann-Ghia relates to the crossmember for the
rear
> seat.  The rear seat bottom of the Squareback folds forward for cargo
space,
> the Fastback/Notchback seatbottom lifts out (just as in a Beetle), and the
> rear jumpseat in a Karmann-Ghia is much smaller than the rear seat in a
> Fastback/Notchback.
>
> Therefore, the reason the type number did not change is because the
CHASSIS
> did not change.
>
> Allyn de Vars
> 1962 VW 1500 Karmann-Ghia