Re: [T3] Automatic Tranny

<x-charset iso-8859-1>On Saturday 03 November 2001 18:50, Timothy Fink wrote:
> Hi all,

  Should I consider trying to fix one of
> the 2 trannys myself?  I am not afraid of working on the transmission
> myself.  I am am a Mechanical Engineer and very mechanically inclined.  By
> the way, the original tranny is a 003 321 105A and the second tranny is a
> 003 321 105D. What type of improvements did they make over the years?
> Which would be the better tranny to use?  Are parts easy to source?
> Suggestions?

The "105D" would be the better of the 2 transmissions. It is a smoother
shifting trans. VW/Borg Warner added some accumulators to the trans to
improve the harshness of the shifting.
With a Bentley manual, and if you can find a genuine VW 'Dasher" manual, you
should be able to fix it yourself. The Dasher manual is Very, Very good when
it comes to the automatic trans, and they are basicly  the same trans.
You need a very clean place, and plenty of room to spread things and keep
track of where they go.
I used to rebuild them when I worked for the dealers, and they are not that
hard. Just time consuming and very meticulate.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT

</x-charset>