From: Andy McDonald [mailto:andymcd2@home.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 11:13 AM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: [T3] Speaking of radios...

I've had this idea for a while and would like to get some input on the pros
and cons as well as make sure that I'm not going waaay out of my skill
level.

I've got a '64 Notch that was converted to 12v by the PO. I installed a new
stereo system and CD changer, both nicely hidden. Also had to put in a kill
switch so it doesn't drain the battery. Now I've got these 4 speaker grills
and no obvious radio. So:

I'm thinking I'd like to take the stock radio and install that where it was.
Mostly for looks, but I'd also like to re-wire the kill switch through the
radio so that I can use the stock on/off switch to power the new stereo. If
that works, will I be able to pre-set my stereo volume and use the stock
knob to do some volume adjustment?

Does anyone know these radios well enough to tell me whether I can just
splice wires and go, or will I need to tear into the stock radio and bypass
some circuits? I'd like to have it light up and look like it really works
just for the appearance thing, but don't know if I'd be losing too much
power to the new stereo.

OK, that's my silly question for the day.

Thanks,
Andy
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/andymcd/lst?.dir=/Vehicles
(pictures taken before we remounted the new stereo)

</x-charset>