[T3] timing question

Hi All,

I have a several questions about timing and my
'72 Squareback.

First of all, which is better for this car, static
or dynamic timing?  The section in Muir's book
on static timing seems to make sense, but when I
tried it, the car ran very poorly.  However, that
could have been my problem and not the procedure...
Also, just to check, I should use the Bentley dynamic
setting (5 btc) if I do it dynamically, right? (Muir
shows 0 or 5 AFTC, depending on engine #)

Secondly, Muir suggests advancing the timing 1 degree
for every 1k ft above 4000 ft.  Since I just moved
to Denver at ~5600 ft, I should advance it about 1.6
degrees (like I can really measure that accurately!).
But, he also suggests retarding the ignition a degree
or two for using gas of lower than 91 octane.
So, despite the difference in timing being beyond
my ability to read and set it anyway, it seems that
if I'm using low and medium grade gas, I should keep
the timing where I had it when I was in Portland
at sea level...  Any input on this?

Also, while I'm thinking about engine numbers, Muir
shows V and U numbers for 72 and 73 Type 3's; however,
Bentley says that August 71 on should have engine
code with X.  (Mine is X...)  Does that have anything
to do with the disparity between Muir and Bentley's
timing settings?

Thank you.

Eric
'72 Squareback