Re: [T3] engine diagnosis

On 2 Nov 2001, at 19:36, Keith Park wrote:

> OK... I hadnt been able to picture this in my head... it makes sense
> now! so long as the adjusters can take out the distance without
> changing the valve geometry.

Right

> Berg explains that we actually create a hardness layer during
> breakin and is why breakin is so critical... I think there is
> surface hardness when the came is manf though.

I think there are various ways to create the right surface. Work
hardening upon first use seems to me to be a terribly
undependable way to do this, but I think that is what is done with
some cams. I'd rather see them induction hardened like crank
journals and gear teeth, but whatever works reliably is fine with me.