Re: [T3] Chrome or not to chrome? (engine)

<x-charset iso-8859-1>> I agree with all these arguments, but in a similar debate with Bob
> Hoover about a year ago, in which I had taken your position, he
> pointed out that VW actually supplied industrial engines in a variety
> of colors, although all the cars came with "basic black."
>
> I think he's right, that it has great theoretical support, but the effect
> is just too small to be important.

Bob Hoover was the guy who said he had measured engine temperatures and
found they run hotter with chrome, and that there was a special factory
arctic specification that had chromed rocker-covers just to keep running
temperatures a bit higher in very cold regions.

I guess in most places it wouldn't make a difference, but in extreme
operating conditions it could.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/