Re: [T3] oil cooler and sagging torsion bars?

"Martinez, Leon" wrote:
I almost forgot to tell you, I always keep my tire pressure around 18 to
20 pounds in the front and around 30 in the back.  This increases
traction and lowers scarryness .........

Regarding tyre pressures, if you deviate from the manufacturer's
recommended settings, it could cause insurance problems in the event of
an accident.

However, I have found that in the case of later Type 3s with CV-joint
diagonal link rear suspension (manuals from 1969 to 1973), if you alter
the tyre pressures to 32psi in the front and merely 26psi at the rear,
you will get rid of the manufacturer's built-in tendancy for the vehicle
to understeer.  The car will then perform naturally as an oversteerer.
A Type 3's split personality will be revealed!   It will go just like a
Porsche 356 and can be thrown into corners at high speed close to full
throttle, as the driver uses the accellerator to control the tendancy
for the rear end to spin out.  Of course, like this never use the brakes
if you think you've gone into the corner too fast.  Instead, do the
opposite.  Press the accellerator pedal more and give it more throttle,
if there is any left.   A Type 3 really goes like a bomb like this and
is great fun.

And, this should only be done on a private road or a race track with
one-way traffic.  For a public road, return the pressures to
manufacturer's recommendation of approximately 17psi at the front and
28psi at the rear when cold (for Variants or squarebacks) and drive the
car like an understeering old lady's car.

Has anyone else had the experience of drastically altering a Type 3's
tyre pressures like this?

Simon Glen
Toowoomba,  Australia.