Re: [T3] oil cooler and sagging torsion bars? STORY

At 12:31 AM -0500 5/31/01, Ben Wampler wrote:

>My 71 stock fasty only does 85 top speed, and around 15 in first... is my
>engine weak?!?

	As far as the first gear is concerned -- your car probably has a
manual transmission?  The automatic (like Leon's) is a three speed, and
first gear is much taller than on the standard shift car.

	My 1969 owner's manual indicates that 0-15mph is the permissible
speed range for first gear with the manual transmission.  It also indicates
that 40mph is the maximum speed in first gear for the automatic
transmission.

	Looks like everybody's numbers line up.

	My '71 Square, manual transmission, stock except for a header,
wouldn't mind going up to 90mph -- though I'm not fond of over-revving, so
I didn't do that much, and didn't try to take it past there.  My personal
"comfort limit" for extended cruising in a 1600cc Type III or Type I is
about 70-75mph.

Cheers,
-Greg