Re: type3-d Digest V01 #312

Vicki=> Any tips on safe driving with a new engine
=> (300 miles on it)?  Thanks!

Don't take it on the highway, since you want to vary the rpm (there are
differeng views on this). Don't take it over 3500rpm, and don't cruise at
over 3000. Change the oil and check valve lash at 500miles, and again at
1000. Stop and cool down frequently -- at this point you're still wearing in
a lot of moving parts, and that generates heat.

Actually my best advice would be to trailer it home and break it in on
routine shopping trips for the first 1500-2000 miles.

I speak from experience. The first engine in the Ghia had 400 miles on it
when I hit the road for the VW Classic some years ago. We made it to the
show, but on a trailer -- I spun a rod shortly after I got to the freeway,
about 150 miles from home.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 Big Ghia