RE: [T3] End Play...

On 25 May 2001, at 10:44, Jaranson, John (J.W.) wrote:

> I checked the endplay with two shims as per Bentley and got .020".
> This is with  .0142" and .0126" shims installed.  By my calculations,
> I need to install three (3) shims that are .0142" thick to get the
> endplay to be .004" which is right in the middle of the spec.  Sound
> right?

Right, but the only way to be sure is to try it and verify.

> I am assuming I should not install more than 3 shims.

Right!

> On a related subject.  I did not have an o-ring between the flywheel
> and the crank when I disassembled everything.  How do I know for sure
> if I should have one or not.  According to my RMMW catalog (I know,
> not the most reliable source) all 62-73 Type 3 had o-ringed flywheels.
>  Or at least that is what they sell as replacements.  Also, they list
> separate shims for o-ring and non-o-ring flywheels.  Are they really
> different?

I think the change over happened around 66, so I'm not sure what
you have. If you send me the engine # I can check, but most 6V
parts are non O-ring style. The O-ring style flywheel will have an O-
ring groove at the bottom outside if the crank socket. The non-O-
ring parts use a flat paper or metal gasket there. Use exactly the
parts that you find in there unless it seems clear that someone's
put the wrong thing in there. Shims for the 2 styles really are
different (different IDs and should not be interchanged). There are
cheap shim washers out there which have really bad burrs on their
edges; don't use them.

Perhaps Russ can tell us which cranks use the paper gaskets and
which use the metal one.