Re: [T3] End Play...

Subject: RE: [T3] End Play...

> So, if I have the steel gasket that fits over the 4 dowel pins and is
between the crank and the flywheel, then I have a non-o-ringed case?  I do
have the steel gasket and no o-ring so this seems consistent.

If you have the steel gasket, and no o'ring groove in the flywheel, then you
have the old style flywheel and crank. '66 was the last year they used them.
If this is the case, Then your '71 shims will not work with that crank. The
'66 and back shims had a larger ID.
Don't change the shims, just because the end play is a couple thou. off on
the loose side. I suspect that you have some wear in the main bearing.
In the thrust surface of the main, there are some half-moon indentations.
They should be crisp and not distorted in shape. As the thrust wears, these
will wear. This kind of gives an indication of the  condition of the rest of
the bearing.
As you press in on the clutch, you are applying thrust against that surface.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/