Re: [T3] An idea for calibrating the manifold pressure sensor.

On Wed, 23 May 2001 21:53:41 -0500, Jim Adney wrote:

>On 24 May 2001, at 14:56, Mark Healey wrote:
>
>> Today I found a virgin manifold pressure sensor (I guess the epoxy
>> seal is the hymen).  I'm thinking that before I put it in I could use
>> it as a comparison for calibrating the old one.
>>
>> >From what I understand it is just a variable transformer.  Lacking an
>> o-scope and sig. gen., I figured that I could use an unrectified
>> transformer I have from an old dustbuster which puts out 13v.  I would
>> hook that up to one side of the new one and measure the AC voltage
>> from the other side with my multimeter.  I then would transfer the
>> transformer and meter to the old one and adjust until I got the same
>> reading.
>>
>> It's been a long time since I've done any analog electronics so I
>> might be insane on this one.  Am I?
>
>I don't know, but if so, you're in good company! ;-)
>
>I would add a 50 Ohm resistor in series with the input to the PS to
>make sure you don't overcurrent it and burn something out. I was
>planning to use a signal generator and watch the output on a
>'scope. That would give a much better picture of what is happening.
>The signal generator helps with the ability to choose the frequency,
>and the scope helps determine the effect of changing pressure.

Yes but 'scopes and signal generators are massivly expensive.  I could
buy dozens of rebuild pressure sensors from Bosch for the price.

I've often mused as to whether there is a market for a buisness that
with cubicles full of expensive test equipment that people could rent
by the hour.  I've considered signing up for courses at a community
colege just so I would have access to the lab.

>Let us know how it works.

I tried it and the meter just isn't discrete enough.  I found a 9V
transformer and hooked it to the windings that are hooked to the outer
contacts on the connector.  I measured ~10.75V on the inner two
windings.  When I hooked up the monkeyed one the measurement was also
~10.75V.  When I turned the ajusting screw 3 turns there was no
noticable movement on the meter.  I think you need pretty expensive
equipment to ajust these.

Anyway I put the virgin on in and now it dies when I let my foot off
the gas.  I assume I can fix this just by tweaking on the idle
ajustment screw.

This gives me another idea.  How about ajusting the idle with the
virgin MPS in and then puting in the monkeyed one and ajusting it
until the idle matches.  It seems logical.  Oppinions?

Mark Healey
71 FI auto square
71 FI manual square
marksvw@healeyonline.com