Re: type3-d Digest V01 #296

Subject: Re: type3-d Digest V01 #296

> Hello, Thanks for the response. What I would like to do is maintain
> the retracting belts but avoid the anchors from snagging the new
> vinyl. Was the early style belts retracting? I have seen on an earlier
> than 1970 square, seat belts that were retracting and that used the rigid
> anchor. Only thing was it was not 3-point. It was only a lap belt. Is
> this what you are refering to when you say to restore to its original
> state? Lastly, I was thinking that maybe the snagging is caused by the
> fact that the anchors are just too worn and over flexed and with the
> plastic cover slightly broken (sharp edges). If I were just to
> replace with a new/newer pair, it might resolve my problem. This might
> be the easiest solution. Please advise....Thanks...Alex

My '71 has shoulder harness belts. They were required in the US from '68 on
on all cars. The '68 thru early '72's were sort of retracting. They had a
spring loaded real on the shoulder part of the belt, that wound up the
excess when the belt was not in use. There was a plastic hook under the rear
seat grab loop that the buckle was hung on when not in use. I have a set in
my '69 parts car, but I would not want to sell them to anybody because of
their condition. The center mounted portion is OK, but the belts are in bad
shape.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/