RE: [T3] *tok* *tok* *tok* sound

> To: type3@vwtype3.org
> Subject: RE: [T3] *tok* *tok* *tok* sound
>

> Sounds like detonation to me, maybe just one cylinder doing
> it instead of
> all.  Don't continue doing it unless you really want to
> rebuilt your engine.

Or! it is a loose head. Are you sure you don't have a head stud pulled. You
might be able to simulate detonation or loose head, by loading the engine
standing still. Set the emergency brake hard, put the trans in 3rd gear, rev
the engine, and slip the clutch. Try to stall the engine. If it still makes
the noise, it is the engine. If it doesn't, it is something in the drive
train.
BTW, there should be a little side to side play in the axles shafts. If not,
the CV joints could be binding under load.

Russ Wolfe

Mahle-Parr Filter Systems