[T3] Apparently she has a attitude

I had a interesting experence on my lunch today. I was driving home to eat
something there ( to save money of course), when my '71 squareback decicded
to stop running while I was driving. I pulled over after I couldn't just
restart her.I was thinking that the reason she wouldn't crank was because of
my coil. Because about a week ago I noticed that the wire attached to the
fuel sensor ( on the driver's side-- I'm pretty sure that is what kind of
sensor it is) was not attached to the coil any more. And the engine just
seemed like it wasn't firing- it just turned and turned but wouldn't start.
Anyway I went home and took the coil off of my work in progress '67 fasty
and attached it. It wouldn't start. So I thought it might be the generator
and was going to go home and to get the generator. But this guy in a
split-window van stopped and said that I should try to pop the clutch ( what
I refer to as the Fred Flintstone method). I don't like to do this because I
heard that it is really bad for the car. So we popped the clutch, it cranked
and home I went. About an hour later I went to figure out what went wrong
and decided that I would attempt to start it. I was so surprised when it
started. Can anyone help me understand why she might have stopped while I
was driving? And why she now starts? And what could I do to remedy the
problem?