Re: [T3] Fixed last suspension problems, floppy rotted ball joint s

On 21 May 2001, at 7:00, Martinez, Leon wrote:

> I drilled these before on an italian car that
> did not have the spring load and I found out the drill made a hole all
> of the way down to the ball and scratched it. If our replacements do
> not have a hollow rear section, the drill may have to go all of the
> way in and endanger scrathing the ball . If there is a hollow spot
> back there, it could be done .

Good point. I hadn't thought of this problem. One of my manuals
has a good cross sectional view of the ball joints and it is very
instructive. I believe it shows a hole in the upper nylon socket
which would allow grease to get in there. You're probably right that
if there is no lube channel in the metal stem then they most likely
didn't put in the corresponding channel in the nylon socket.

> Metal filings can be removed by washing the ball joint in light
> solvent and then greasing the solvent out . Have you ever cut the
> non spring loaded replacement to see if it is hollow at the back
> end where the ball sits ? Just curious. My replacements are made in
> Italy and I bought these from Chirco Performance. I do not have
> the brand name on hand but I will have it when I get back home.

I've never cut any of them apart, and I've only handled one set of
aftermarket parts, which I really didn't care for. I HAVE seen good
German OEM replacements that appeared to be exactly right, but
that was many years ago. They were not purchased thru VW so it
is possible that someone still has good ones on the shelf
somewhere.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org