Re: [T3] Fixed last suspension problems, floppy rotted ball joints

On 19 May 2001, at 23:58, Martinez, Leon wrote:

> I have a question , since my new ball
> joints have no grease fittings, will
> greasing with a needle until the
> rubber seal slightly puffs up be as
> effective?

I certainly wouldn't push a needle THRU THE RUBBER on new
ones. I'd worry that the puncture would start a tear which would
admit water, which is the thing which kills them. If you haven't
installed them yet you could probably slip a needle up alongside
the stem and add a bit of extra grease now. Be very careful not to
add so much that the boot bulges at all, otherwise it will split when
it is asked to pivot and flex and you'll be starting all over again.

> Is it possible to drill and tap the new ball joint stem to give it
> greasing capability? I wish to make these last longer than the
> originals by good periodic greasing.

The OE ball joints came with plugs and lube channels up thru 71,
then they were eliminated. I've wondered if I could add these to
replacements, but it would require that I be completely sure that I
got all the metal cuttings out. I don't think I could ever be sure of
that.

Did you check to see if your replacements had the same spring
loaded sockets that the OE ones had? Where were yours made?
What brand?