[T3] ball joint question?

hey all,
i noticed a lot of talk lately about greasing the ball joints. i have
the original ball joints on my car and they are still nice and tight. i
would like to keep them that way! i think russ mentioned something about
fitting a grease nipple on them? how do you go about this? do i remove
the plastic plug at the top and fit the grease nipple there? Also on the
same subject of greasing the front end. i have become paranoid about
greasing my front axle. all this talk about how difficult it is to
remove the front bushings and having to custom fabricate the parts has
gotten me shaken in my boots. i don't want to have to go through will
all that stuff. so to get to my question, the seals that are at the end
of where the torsion bars come out and connect with the sway arms, are
they hard to replace? mine are dry and old and i would like to prevent
water from being able to get in there as well as dirt. it sort of freaks
me out about having to remove the torsion arms because i don't have the
tool to measure the angle they are at so when i put them back in my car
it is at stock height, and riding even. is there a technique to doing
this that i would not need the special vw tool shown in the bentley? i
am confident i can do the job but this angle thing is holding me back.
how does everyone else out there do this? any creative ideas?
I also wanted to let Dave Hall know that i finally got my brass ring
that goes under the horn ring. i bought one from isp west. the holes did
not line up with my horn ring but i drilled new ones and wa-la! i have a
horn! i love when things get fixed! Just wanted to let you know.
much love from the rolling hills of pa,
jesse
71 fi squareback
and others