Re: [T3] Fixed last suspension problems, floppy rotted ball joints

Subject: [T3] Fixed last suspension problems, floppy rotted ball joints

> I cannot stress greasing the suspension
> enough, it is not only for the car's well
> being but for our own personal saftey.
>
> I have a question , since my new ball
> joints have no grease fittings, will
> greasing with a needle until the
> rubber seal slightly puffs up be as
> effective? Is it possible to drill and tap
> the new ball joint stem to give it
> greasing capability? I wish to make these
> last longer than the originals by good
> periodic greasing.

I don't see why you can't drill a hole through the center of the threaded
part that bolts to the torsion arm, and install a grease zert. I suppose it
depends on how hard it is. Try putting a mark on it with a file. If you can,
you should be able to drill it. I found out yesterday, that the orginal
holes are tapped 6x1.00mm. I tried to put 1/4" zerts in mine, and they
wouldnt go. I did find 6x1.00mm threaded zerts in an Edelmann rack at my
local "CarQuest" store. I know you have CarQuest in San Diego, because I had
to get front pads and rotors for a Jeep, a couple years ago when I was
visiting my son.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/