Re: [T3] Well it kind of worked it's a Fuel Problem now

Subject: [T3] Well it kind of worked it's a Fuel Problem now

> 1. Did I correctly test the pump or did I screw up and
> hope for that operational pump still exists?

Connecting the gas to the "S" port it correct. I think they are marked S, P,
R. suction, pressure, return

> 2. If I did screw up testing what is the proper way to
> test....do I have to prime the whole system?

I had the same problem with my pump after it sat for 15 years.

> 3. Should the pump make any noise at all? (I don't
> hear a thing!)

What you probably have is a pump that is full of varnish and dried up gas.
You can take the pump apart, but mark things, and draw a sketch as you take
it apart. I don't recommend taking the motor apart, but it can be done. If
you do have to take the motor apart, there is an o'ring that in it for a
seal, but it is an off the shelf part.
> 4. What is the proper connections for the terminals.
> I have "S" coming from the tank/filter..?

That is correct.

> 5. What is the flow rate and at what pressure does
> this system work (once again I must say it is a Fuel
> injected system)....?

Flow rate is not real high, but if the pump is "dead headed" it will go over
60 psi before it stalls

> 6. My motive behind six is that can another pump be
> used in this system...theoretically If the flow rate,
> PSI, and volts all match another model wouldn't it
> also work...?....I remeber reading on this list
> something about a Ford Ranger pump.

I am the one that is using the Ranger pump. It does have one problem, It doe
not have a built in check valve like VW pump. This means that you have to
prime the system each time you start it. This could probably be fixed with
an inline  check valve right after the pump if it is too much of a nuisance.

> 7. Can I re-build this thing myself if I have to...or
> is it broken forever?

You can probably fix it with a little patience. I repaired mine, and it
lasted for a couple months until the motor shaft broke. The motor runs, but
the pump doesnt pump, and I have never bothered to tear it back apart to see
what actually happened.

> 8. Does anybody out there have one that works....?

I think Jim Adney said that he had some. Maybe rebuilts. Check the archives.
I also see them on E-bay once in a while.

> I guess that's it any other important info I need
> would be much appreciated.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/