[T3] UPDATE lightened flywheel HELP Need HELP now!!!

What did you set your end play at?  I don't see how the rtv sealant
would fix the problem if the other seals had become mangled.  I have
been putting some assembly oil on the seal to keep it lubricated but
something seems to be making thinga get tight as it gets hot.  If I had
a trailer, I would probably haul the thing over to the car crusher I am
so sick of it.

Kevin Howlett

Ben wrote:

I had the same problem with my beetle, I fitted a new engine in it and
the
main oil seal went, it was pouring out oil, (it did not lock up though)
and
I changed the oil seal. I started it up, and it was fine for about 10
minutes, and then it started leaking again. I just assumed that I
installed
it wrong or something and it was like this for a couple of weeks before
had the time to change it again, when I did get round to it, I found
that
the oil seal had been completely mangled. I replaced it, and started it
up
again, and after about 30 minutes there was no oil. I thought I had
fixed
it, but after driving it the next day it was pouring out again. The
third
time, I checked the end play and was *very* carefull putting the new
seal
in. That one lasted a day before it started to leak as well. I can tell
you
I was about ready to drive it off a cliff! It is not so much that I mind

changing the seal, it is just that the engine is so hard to get in and
out
because the car has been involved in a rear end accident at some stage,
and
as a result it is about 1-2 inches shorter, so it takes about 1-2 hours
of
wiggling shaking and bouncing to get it in. I finally fixed it after 2
more
goes, this time I put a good amount of RTV sealant around the dowel pin
holes on the flywheel, and around the gland nut. So far it has been
about 2
weeks and it has not leaked (except for the damn pushrod tubes which I
put
new seals on last time I had the engine out ;). So fingers crossed, I
have
fixed it. All I can say is hang in there, and hopefully you will fix it.

Good Luck,
Ben Doughney

'71 1302S