Re: [T3] Front needle bearings

"Martinez, Leon" wrote:

> I get nothing but errors when entering this site,
> it is the onlty site that ever did this.

I did have trouble with it in Netscape, Internet Explorer was ok.

> Having that said , I
> cannot see pictures of the types.
> What I can tell you Is that the bearing in queston is
> called "drawn cup neddle roller bearing with cage"
> listed on the www.INA.com bearing site as
> HK 3520 , DIN 618-1 / ISO 3245. There is a drawing
> of this when you go and enter in the search. Our
> bearing is very similar to this except for the outer diameter
> being 42 mm insted of our correct  44 mm . I suggested
> shiming this with a round 2mm thick round sleeve.

I see they have 42 and 47 mm outer diameter. SKF had 45 mm, but not as
"drawn cup". I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, nor do I doubt the
work that has been done by others before me. I'm just trying to learn a
bit of other more technical aspects of our cars, not just engine.

> Plastic bearing replacement only requires that the arms
> be cleaned or machined depending on condition, no
> hard chrome is required.

One thing I just thought of is that when my friend bought a "Puma"
lowered front end for his 64 Bug, there were no needle bearings in
there. It had some sort of fibre bushings instead. The bushings were too
tight and we could hardly install the arms on that car. The end result
was that we sat down with the arms and 1200 grit wet sanding paper and
sanded until the arms were thin enough. I dont know if this is THE way
to go, but that was what we did then. We probably never remove more than
0.2 mm at most.

PerL
73 Variant L