Re: [T3] Rear Brakes

Hal Sullivan wrote:

> At 04:09 PM 5/16/01 +0200, Per Lindgren wrote:
> >You need to take the drum off of course, but the hub and drum is a split
> >assembly on our 73's, so you do not need to loosen the big 36 mm nut.
>
> Yeah, *if* you can get those two screws to turn. =/

Once the screws are off, keep them off! The only need for these screws is to
hold the drum in place when the wheel is off, which it obviously isnt very
often. When the car is transported around in the factory, it may very well
have happened that the drum fell of as the car rocks back and forth from time
to time. When sitting in a garage, undergoing repairs the car is
standing/hanging still and quite often the brake linings hold the drum as
well (we all know that!) As long as the wheel is bolted correctly to the car,
the two screws are just sitting there (screwing around??) so there is no need
for them then. This was also the general consencus on the Vanagon list, which
happens to have the same drum/hub design as our favourites.

PerL
73 Variant L