Re: [T3] Unleaded fuel and lead replacement fuel

Simon Glen wrote:

> >From the beginning of last month leaded petrol (gasolene) is no longer
> available in Australia.  I do not trust the so-called "lead replacement"
> petrol which is now sold in place of leaded petrol here.  My concern is
> mainly with valve seats.
>
> However, yesterday I met a man with an early 1950s Wolseley 6/80 and for
> every 40litres (8.8 imperial gallons or 7.4 US gallons) of unleaded
> petrol he adds 30ml of two-stroke oil into his fuel tank with a large
> syringe.  He claims that this gives his car adequate upper cylinder
> lubrication.  What do other listees think, especially in relation to an
> air-cooled VW motor built in 1969.

Simon,

You can safely drive on unleaded petrol. VW once issued a statement (in
93-94) saying that all VW engines from 1947 to date can safely be driven on
unleaded fuel. VW had tested them all.  Also, all Audi engines from 1977 to
date can drive unleaded.

The cylinder heads in my 73 has over 100.000 kms on unleaded gas without any
problem. Now the octane issue might be a completely different problem.

PerL
73 Variant L