Re: [T3] lightened flywheel HELP!!!(PLEASE READ)

On 16 May 2001, at 8:22, Kevin Howlett wrote:

> I know nothing about who lightened it or if it was even balanced.
> With the heavy counterweighted crank I can barely tell it is there
> when driving the car.  How do I check the run out of the flywheel.  If
> this thing is bad in the first place, would it cause my seal to leak
> so soon, and then cause my engine to lock up on the main bearing?

I would take the crank and flywheel out and look at them together.
Make sure that each is an O-ring style item and that they mate
together properly. Make sure that the crank seats fully into the
flywheel and compare the end of the crank with another OE crank
to make sure that it is properly machined to correct dimensions (in
case it is an aftermarket cast CW crank.

Check the dowel holes in each to make sure that there are no
burrs and that the holes are clean and tight on the dowels. Make
sure the holes are not elongated. Are these parts doweled for 8
dowels? If so, they may not be done right and the dowels might not
fit all the way in.

When installing the gland nut you should use something that
actually lets you determine the torque. DO NOT use an air ratchet.
They do not have real torque settings.

Put a #1 main bearing on the crank and make sure it is not loose
(wrong size for the possibly reground crank.) Make sure that it fits
properly with the flywheel on the crank. Add the shims that you
were using and verify that the end play is right. Make sure that only
3 shims were used; if more was necessary, something is wrong
with your parts.

If all this checks out, take the crank, flywheel, dowels, and gland
nut to a shop that can do balancing and ask them to run it up and
balance it. and ask them to check the seal surface for runout when
they start. If it is bad there is no point in balancing. BTW, I really
like the balancing work that Berg does, but you'll want to send
them all the moving parts from your engine so they can do them
together. If you go that route, call first to make sure they will do the
runout check you need. In general, if you send them a carefully
written and proofread letter of instructions they will do what you
need and more.

They do good work, but they are not cheap. OTOH, you'd be miles
ahead if you had done this in the first place. It's times like this that
you can understand Gene's old motto which was, "Buy the best
and cry once!"

BTW, you've wasted a lot of time and money by installing a
lightened flywheel and a CW crank without paying any attention to
balance.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org