Re: [T3] lightened flywheel HELP!!!(PLEASE READ)

Subject: [T3] lightened flywheel HELP!!!(PLEASE READ)

> have been starting it up and letting it warm up about once or twice a
> week for the past month while I have been taking the fenders off and
> fixing them, and having the fuel tank repaired.  I started it today and
> noticed that the darn thing was leaking around the rear main again.  I
> pulled the engine and took the clutch & flywheel off.  There were a few
> little shavings where it looked like the flywheel had scraped against
> the seal but there oil around the seal, and the flywheel had been
> slinging it all around inside the transmission case.  I called Johnson's
> and they said they didn't know what it could be either.  They
> recommended replacing the seal and putting a stock flywheel back on.
> That's what they said they would do if it were on their own car.  Does
> anyone have any other suggestions before I put the engine back in the
> car tomorrow?  I have to take it and get the end play checked for the
> stock flywheel since I do not have the tool to do it with.  Please email
> be back soon if you have any other suggestions.

I wouldn't wish a lightened flywheel on my worst enemy. I tried them back in
the sixties, and immediately got rid of them. They are a bear to drive on
the streets. All for a few hundred rpm, and a little quicker acceleration.
It sounds like you may have one that does not run true. Check the runout on
the flywheel. Who lightened the flywheel. Did they know what they were
doing? Was the flywheel balanced after lightening.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/