RE: [T3] Suspension fixed was rotted needle bearings

Well the on the work I performed, I
used junkyard parts. I am in the process in
finding replacement top bearings from
a bearing manufacturer. I do not need these
new ones anymore
but I will do it to prevent future hassels
with my car as well as other peoples.
the first thing I will look for is a bearing
of the right type for arms that are
still in good shape or have been rebuilt
with hard chrome sleeves from a machine shop.
there several ways of doing this.

This is only the top arm I know about::

1. Chrome/sleeving arm rebuilding for new bearing.

2. machine down and chrome arm to put over size
bearing.

3. Machine down for plastic bushing, bushing
found at plastic bearing manufacturer or made
by an industrial machine shop.

4. Very thin plastic or metal bushing
installed tight on the arm and plastic or
brass bushing with internal grease ridges
installed over that. Bushings made in
a machine shop. Arm not machined

5. Complete Brass or plastic bearing/bushing/thrust
bushing made as one piece over plastic sleeved or
metal sleeved or machined arm surface.

6. Or do everything expensive and best is to
rebuild arm with hard chrome, buy correct
bearing, and machined brass thrust bushing
or replacement real thrust needle bearing.
For premium fix, it would cost probably
a couple a hundred bucks or more for each
arm.

The inner bushing may be machined out of
plastic or brass. I do not have one of these on had
so I do not know much about it. Maybe Jim can
measure the bushings he may have on had and post it
I have measured all of the parts I have out:
the thrust bushing, bearing and arm. If anyone
needs the bearing, bushing or arm mesurements .
These are not very precise as far as my
micrometer is concerned.

I'm probably just dreaming and brainstorming.
got no money and already fixed my top arms but
I will look up machining/rebuild/manufacture
and part number prices as I have the oportunity.

By the way the part number of the bearing is:

VW number 311 401 305 and INA number F-3a-8910
made in germany. 20 mm wide, 35mm inner diameter
and 44mm outer diameter.

By the way, the bottom bearing and seal for
the bottom arm are available from Rocky mountain
motor works parts. They are back ordered anyhow .
I have to wait for those.

I have ordered, 23 bucks each, two lower ball joints
from CHIRCO PERFORMANCE.
I understand that the upper ball joints have offset
adjustable studs. These adjust for camber according to
the Bently manual. Why can't the lowered suspensions
use this to correct their camber. After my fix
I have not adjusted my camber and sometimes
it feels funny on sharp turns. I will correct
this when I replace my bottom ball joints.

I get the impression that you think I have
extensive experience on this , I really don't, as of
this weekend I have learned how this is built.
I am just a guy that pretnds to know it all
by nitpicking and analyzing everything to death,
sometimes to adnausiaum. I study all of my
possibilities and research sources, write them down
for self info.  I may spend weeks researching
tiny unimportant things . I do this at work
everyday for my my specialty in electronic
systems. I am an experienced brainstormer,
that's all.

I will inform the list as I find data from my
sources. This way all type 3 people will know
alternatives.

I am flattered that you offer webspace for me.
I can foreward you something in the future.
I have too much info and brainstorm compiled.
How do you want me to organize the top arm fix.
By quality, by lowest cost, by symplicity ?
Too many ways to fix this. This way I can
organize my scatter brain ideas without
collaging.

LEON MARTINEZ

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO