Re: [T3] Strange OEM Type 3 Muffler

On 14 May 2001, at 20:40, Dave Hall wrote:

> > As far as I know, the type 3 engine was never used in type 2s.
>
> Indeed it was; 1500cc engine production is a couple of hundred thousand
> ahead of Type 3 chassis in Aug 64 - July 65, and my curiosity over this was
> answered by a Type 2 guy who has the Type 2 Parts book, which gives details
> of the engine numbers of these engines - but I haven't seen the book for
> myself and don't know the cooling arrangements used.

Certainly type 2s got 1500cc engines, as did type 1s, but IMO it's
not a type 3 unless it has the fan mounted on the crankshaft with
the generator/alternator on the left side of the fan housing.

I realize that the type 3s were first introduced as the VW 1500, but
this was simply because at that time we were the first with that
HUGE displacement. Others followed.