Re: [T3] Strange OEM Type 3 Muffler

On 14 May 2001, at 20:53, Dave Hall wrote:

> > > The
> > > only difference is that the outlet where the damper pipe fits is about
> > > 1" too far to the right!!??
> >
> > Could it be for an industrial engine?
>
> That would be part 124 251 051.  It seems to be identical to a Type 3 except
> for the lack of heat exchangers - looks like pre-60 Beetle one with hot-spot
> connection and no small heat exchangers, but I guess 1" isn't much on a
> scale drawing in the parts book.  There's quite a bit of adjustment on the
> two piece tailpipe -elongated hole on tailpipe and maybe a couple of inches
> overlap on the two sections.

But this one has the type 3 lower heat exchanger spacing which is
quite different from the type 1, and it has the completely unique
type 3 heat shielding on its upper side.

> Does yours have upper heat exchangers, Jim?

No, it has the threaded couplings to join the separate upper heat
exchangers; another feature that I thought was uniquely type 3.