Re: [T3] End play help

On 13 May 2001, at 6:13, Thorkhild wrote:

> Okay i'm setting the end play on an engine that i got from a salvage yard. i
> measured it to be 0.057" from what i remember i want to set it up with .004"
> Right? i converted my reading to mm (my feeler gages are in both) and I got
> 1.448mm and .004" works out to be .1mm. What am i supposed to do to get the
> right end play with only 3 shims. the most i can get is 1.08mm with the 3
> .36mm shims

I believe you're going to find that this amount of play is due to the
fact that the #1 main bearing has come loose in the case. The only
fix for this requires a complete teardown.

If the wear on the thrust surface of the case is .040 or less, the
case can be machined and fit with different main bearings. This is a
job for RIMCO. It is possible that the case is too worn to salvage. If
the salvage yard will allow it, I'd ask for a different engine.