[T3] no start, V.R. ground?

    Phillip wouldn't start trying to leave work this eve.  Of course
this is the day I pick Maddy up at preschool, time of the essence and
all...  I think I traced it to the voltage regulator not being
grounded, but I don't know why this would matter.
Here's what happened:
    Turned the key, no trouble lights in ON, and nothing in START
position.  But the clock was ticking, and the radio turned on.  So I
pocked around under the dash, and tried again; both trouble lights
came on, but in START nothing, and the radio stopped and the clocked
stopped ticking.  I got out my test light and found no power at fuse
box or steering column.  Under the back seat, the VR didn't have power
on the fat red lines, but when I wiggled it, they did (?).  No visible
loose wires to battery or anything else obvious.   The car started up
the next try.  I tightened down the VR screws to make sure it's
secure.  Should I keep looking for the problem?

Peter Parker
'66 Square; Phillip
Portland, OR