Re: [T3] shifter bushing

Subject: [T3] shifter bushing

> is the shifter bushing on a type3 changed the same way
> as a bug?  im assuming its under the back seat behind
> an inspection panel?  the fasty im getting needs a
> shifter bushing.

The shifter bushing is right behind the shift lever in the tunnel. Depending
on what year, the type 3 is easier. The late T-3's have a plate bolted to
the top of the tunnel, that the shifter is mounted in. This started, I think
at the same time as the automatic transmission. If it is an older car, you
will need to unhook the coupleing at the front of the trans from under the
car. Then the shift rod needs to come out through the front. To do this,
remove the plate next to the master cylinder, the spare tire well, and the
round plate under the front bumper.
A trick to getting it back in, is to tie a stout cord to the shift rod at
the shift coupling before pulling it out. Then you can use this cord to help
pull it back in.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/