Re: [T3] Complete Electrical Shutdown

This sounds like a problem I had on my B*g. When I drove it hard it would
occasionally lose all electrical power. After a few minutes, the car would
start again, and I never found out what the cause was. It didn't happen very
often, so it wasn't a very high priority job.......

Thinking of bizarre failure modes, I've finally succeeded in repairing my
neighbour's car. (Not a T3; it's a Ford Fiesta). It would start, run fine
for up to five seconds or so, and then cut out. It would start again after a
minute or so, and cut out again. After much head-scratching and creative use
of English, a friend said "Has someone shoved a banana up the exhaust?!". Of
course there was no banana, but the two year-old exhaust system had become
completely choked with carbon (as in completely airtight!). As the owner
only drives it into town and back with full choke on, it never gets warm. No
one I've spoken to has come across this problem before.

The moral is a quote from Sherlock Holmes; "When you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." So
when fault-finding, don't even trust the new parts you've just fitted.
Particularly since most stuff one can buy now isn't a patch on the 30
year-old parts already on our cars.

Sorry all, that's a bit deep for midnight on Saturday.