Re: [T3] Distributor In, can get it to run (defending the devirginized sensor)

On Fri, 4 May 2001 08:50:27 -0500, Jim Adney wrote:

>On 3 May 2001, at 23:41, Leon Martinez B. wrote:
>
>> I don't beleive that Bosch assumes
>> that gasoline is the same all over the world
>
>This brings up a good point: that today's gas is not the same as
>when our cars were new. But I think adjustments are better made
>with the fuel pressure, where the change is proportional,
>measurable, and reproducable.
>
>The Pressure Sensors have a tapered shaft that serves as a
>transformer core. This shaft moves back and forth in the
>transformer yoke as the bellows changes length. The taper is not
>just a simple taper, and the magnetic effects are also non-linear.
>The result of adjusting it is so complicated that I just don't think it
>is possible for one of us to actually have much of an idea of what
>the consequences are over the whole range of operation.
>
>In my field we call this "wandering around in a multi-dimensional
>parameter space." It's a bit of a joke and a metaphor for being lost
>and not knowing which way to turn to get home.
>
>OTOH, cranking the fuel pressure up by 10% will give us 10% more
>gas under all conditions, which MIGHT be just what we need to
>offset the fact that part of our gas is now alcohol (and other things.)
>
>> The original pressure sensor in 1968 with part
>> number ending in 001 (still available but with
>> epoxy glue on the screw)had no seal because
>> emission standards were not enforced and
>> requirements were very loose. I have one
>> of these original ones.
>
>I bought a new 68 squareback in March of 68. It came with a 001
>pressure sensor that was epoxy sealed from the factory. They ALL
>were, but there was a rather simple trick to removing the epoxy and
>my dealer eventually did so. I'm not convinced that was a good
>idea, but it still ran fine.
>
>I agree that there was no harm in adjusting this already
>"devirginized" PS. You may well have improved it.
>
>I really do prefer to play with the fuel pressure, however, because I
>know exactly what its effect will be and I (and the next mechanic)
>can always set it back exactly where it was.

Ok, all thin information is confusing me even more.  Since the sensor
has already been tampered with, as have all the ones I've seen in the
junk yards, in what order should ajust things.  I'm guessing valves,
point gap, timing, then sensor (since it has already tampered with).

Yes I can attest that Leon's car runs great.

Mark Healey
71 FI auto square
71 FI manual square
marksvw@healeyonline.com