Re: [T3] front disc brakes

On 2 May 2001, at 3:48, connie schmitt wrote:

> I got the pistons out (it wasn't easy!) and now I wanted to know if
> when I rebuild them, should they still feel like they are sticking
> when all the way back in or should they have some movement?

It's hard to say with the OE type 3 calipers. If yours have the center
pin in the cylinder then this drags on the mating piece in the piston
and will make it seem like it is sticking, OTOH, it should be free in
the bore. You should wet sand the bore with the grey wet-or-dry
silicon carbide 400 grit paper to remove the rust there. Clean up the
outside of the pistons the same way.

Lube with a silicome lubricant. DO NOT use any petroleum based
products in contact with brake rubber parts.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054