RE: [T3] Darkside ideas for a new powerplant

At 10:16 PM 4/30/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I know of one place that does it:
>http://www.veemotors.co.uk/extras/wasserwhat.htm  But they don't really out
>to much infoabout it.  I want to build the motor myself so i want to get as
>much info as i can. I hear that Rimco can do the bearing mod for me so. I
>also don't want to convert a wasserboxer case to aircooled so... I really
>don't knowanything about vanagons ecept that i really don't likethe look of
>them. BUT what years was thewater cooledengine offered? So that i know where
>to look to find a decent crank.

I've been researching a bit on the WBX crank conversion, so I've got a bit
of info.  The WBX Vanagons were built from about '83-'92, first with a 1.9L
engine and then going to a 2.1L.  The 1.9 crank is a 69mm stroke, same as
the 1600, so the 2.1 is what you want to look for.  I don't know exact
years as to when they went from 1.9 to 2.1, though the 1.9 came
first.  Look for about an '88 or later, should be what you need.

The #1 (flywheel) main bearing is T4 size, the rest of the main bearing
journals (as well as the rod journals) are the same as the 1600.  You
shouldn't need aftermarket rods, stock length should be fine.  I've also
heard that Berg has an adapter bearing that lets you use the WBX crank
without machining the case, but you'd need to contact them to find out for
sure.  You'll probably also have to get ahold of a 210mm or 215mm Bus
flywheel, I don't think the crank from the WBX engine will fit the transaxle.

I don't have any other knowledge or experience on the watercooled crank
issue, this is just what I've picked up from keeping my ears open for a
while.  I'm looking around locally for a crank, though ... even if it's
just to use as a core.

If you find a Vanagon in a yard someplace, you might want to think about
grabbing the distributor and electronic ignition stuff from it too.  Friend
of mine got that hooked up in his '71 StupidBeetle recently and it works
like a charm.